Monday, April 25, 2011

OUR PATCH OF DIRT



well.. this is my very first attempt at the "green thumb" gig. i've always loved those beautiful gardens where every single patch of dirt is covered with flowers almost falling on top of the other.lets just say i'm not there yet!! this is our very first yard and it is very overwhelming. i'm very much an instant gratification person.. so its really hard to take the time to make it right and wait on things to grow!! recently we made a flowerbed against our back fence using stacked bricks. 3 truckloads of soil and 2 truckloads of mulch later we were ready to get started... we planted climbing roses, lantana, salvia, ginger, bougainvillea, carolina jasmine, plumeria, louisiana iris, and afew more things. we decided to plant mostly perennials that are pretty hardy so hopefully next spring we can eagerly anticipate the arrival of our flowers. since planting, our yard had been filled with bees, butterflies, and hummingbird's!!! our new visitors and the view were well worth the sweat and blisters!!

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, Hal opened your blog for me. It's very complicated to me. I loved your Mason jar collection. Your backyard fence looks good. I didn't know you knew about all those flowers. When it's in bloom, I want to paint that same view. Sounds like you and Caleb ate and drank your way through California. The pictures were breathtaking. I saw two pictures I wanted to paint. The colors are so vivid. Visiting California is on my bucket-list. Claire said she would take me there next summer.
    I sure enjoyed the visit and the great news!! Why don't you start keeping a journal about your pregnancy and your thoughts and emotions? I'm so happy to become a great-granmother.
    Elvis is coming to the Dixie Theatre in Ruston October 8th and I already have my tickets. Can't Wait! I saw on the news that all of Texas is on fire and praying for rain. Love, Mimi

    ReplyDelete